- "Weapons and tools have a kind of magic called "Retornen"! It's a kind of magic that sends monsters back to their original place. Monsters are a kind of spirit they originally came from a different world that ours. It looked like it's soul went to heaven, but in fact it returned to it's real homeland, the "First Forest"!"
- ―Mist, Rune Factory
The tools used in Rune Factory are capable of performing functions both beneficial to the farm and to the safety of others. Possessing a magic called Retornen, tools can send monsters back from where they originated.
Earthmates are supposed to be able to summon monsters. They are people who can hear the earth's voice. Some of them can communicate with the monsters. Mix seeds with Greenifier and they'll become even better seeds. Grow a vegetable with a better seed and put it in the Seed Maker and out will come an even better seed.
- Watering pot - A watering can. Given to you by Mist at the beginning.
- Hoe - Used to till soil. Given to you by Mist at the beginning.
- Axe - Given to you by Bianca when you see her in the mansion.
- Hammer - Unlock Carmite Cave and till 50 squares of soil in the cave with your hoe. Visit Leo and he'll give you a hammer. After upgrading to Iron Hammer, players need 2 charges to smash mined stone 1 time.
- Sickle - Till 50 squares of soil on your farm with your hoe. Then talk to Rosetta in her shop and she'll give you a sickle to cut grass, crops, and weeds. Also cuts grass for monster feed.
- Fishing Rod - Go to the end of the dock at the beach. Sabrina will give you a rod.
- Radar Device - Explore Carmite Cave, then Ivan will give you this tools for free. Inside a room, activate it to hear one beep per monster's generator.
- Pet Gloves - Destroy your first monster, then talk to Tabatha. The glove will convince monsters to work with you. Players should build a Hut first.
- Brush - Receive from Felicity after taming a single monsters. Increases Friend Points.
- Shears - Receive from Camus. Only for Wooly monsters for their wool.
- Milker - Receive from Jasper in his mansion. Only for Buffamoo for their milk.
- Basket - Get it from Neumann. For eggs from Kokehoho and Honey from Hornets and Queenbees.
- Sleeping Bag - Receive by traveling halfway through Carmite Cave. Restores HP and some RP by camping overnight in caves. Can be upgraded to 4 times.
Tools can be upgraded in ways. Most tools can be upgraded to their third level by talking to Leo and giving him ore found in the caves. Alternatively, tools can be upgraded in the forge after your house is expanded.
This is a table for upgrading tools:
Once the tools are upgraded, the upgraded tool (with the exception of the sleeping bags) can be used by holding down the 'B' button. The tool should charge. You should be able to tell what level the tool is charged to by watching a little glowing sphere. As you charge the tool, the sphere grows. Below is a list of what the sphere looks like at different levels.
- Level 1- nothing special happens
- Level 2- small glowing white orb
- Level 3- large glowing orb
- Level 4- large glowing orb with a circle orbiting it
- Level 5- large glowing orb with two rings orbiting it